Post-natal exercise is the key to getting back in shape. it also speeds up the recovery process and offers a whole range of health benefits for new mums. Patience is key as it may take a few months, or possibly longer, depending on how much time you can dedicate to it. So here’s how to find more time to fit exercise into your life with baby.
Benefits of Postnatal exercise
- Provides stress release and some time for you to focus on your own needs
- Helps reduce post-natal depression.
- Is essential for your overall health and will help you recover from childbirth and regain your pre-pregnancy body more quickly.
- Increases your energy levels and will help you sleep better when you get sleep!
Finding the all-important time!
- Plan your workouts! Plan around nap time so baby can sleep while you walk. Fresh Air will help the baby also. If the weather is bad then take 30 minutes during babies naps to do some core exercises at home. You tube is great for fitness videos.
- Join a ‘Mother and Baby’ class. You can find them online – Check out meetmums.ie. These are a great way to bond with your newborn, meet other new mothers and fit in some exercise time for you.
- Pelvic floor exercises (Kegels) can be done anywhere and are very valuable for achieving a strong, stable pelvic area, you can do these while watching tv, waiting on the kettle to boil, feeding the baby, driving the car – no excuses.
- Book a class a week and stick to it. If you have a family member or other half that will let you away then take the opportunity. This will be good for the family member to bond with the baby, you can get some time to yourself and exercise.
It’s important to consult with your doctor before starting an exercise programme. What kind of delivery you had will determine how quickly you can resume your exercise routine, but it’s generally advised that you wait until your six-week check-up.
Once you get the green light and feel up to a regular exercise routine, recommended is Pilates for core conditioning and weight training and cardio for weight loss.
Enjoy this amazing time with your baby. A little extra weight is a small price to pay for the wonderful new person in your life, so be patient and your body will be back to normal in no time.